I have one more Thanksgiving book and craft to share with you today. This one is about the pilgrims, and I’ve made simple toilet paper roll pilgrims to go with it.
(Books and Giggles is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.)
Finding a Thanksgiving Story
I wanted to find a story about the first Thanksgiving to read with my kindergartners. It was hard to find the right balance of historical accuracy and inviting story for this age group. I think The Pilgrims’ First Thanksgiving (affiliate) by Ann McGovern does a creditable job. It relates the big picture in an engaging way, with a focus on the pilgrim children.
Making a Pilgrim Craft
- 2 toilet paper rolls
- 1 – 3 oz. plastic bathroom cup
- Black acrylic paint
- Smock or Paint shirt
- Newspaper to cover work area
- Paper: white, yellow, peach, brown
- Googly eyes (optional)
- Colored pencils for face features
3. For the hair, cut a strip to go around the tube plus a separate piece for the front (See photo).
4. Glue googly eyes onto face, and draw on mouth and nose.
6. For the woman’s hat, you can make a tiny version based on this pilgrim hat tutorial.