It’s never to early to plan a kids’ Christmas craft idea or two – so that you have them ready to go when life gets busy. This upcycled photo frame ornament is made with a jar lid!
I’ve never actually had a white Christmas. I experienced snow on Thanksgiving one year, visiting family up north. I don’t think that’s quite the same.
But I can dream! Our Christmas tree is full of kid-made nostalgic ornaments. Many of them involve snow.
We even have some ornaments from my own childhood. My favorite is the goofy snowman my dad made me. (If you’re feeling nosy, scroll way, way back in my instagram feed -I posted it last Christmas.)
I already feel nostalgic for the ornaments my own kids have made the past few years. The photo ornaments are extra special. We can always add another.
I had Isabella, now age 7, help me make one of these to make sure they’re suitable for little hands. She did just fine. You can see her sweet version below.
Kids Christmas Craft Idea – Materials
- You may already have all these items. If not, they’re easy to find.
- Jar lid
- White acrylic paint
- Pillow stuffing
- Embellishments (I used a snowflake button and tiny pearl beads)
Kids Christmas Craft Idea – Instructions
Paint the back and sides of the lid with white acrylic paint. You don’t need perfect coverage – just a thin coat. Let dry.
Pull out enough long narrow strips of pillow stuffing to form a circle around the lid.
Use a paintbrush to spread glue around the sides and lip of the jar lid, and stick the stuffing to it.
Then, spread glue on the outside of the lid and attach a thin layer of stuffing over it.
You may need to fuss a bit to get it all arranged to your liking, but it doesn’t have to be perfect to look snowy and adorable.
Pair this craft with a book about snow, and start dreaming about a white Christmas.
See more crafts using jar lids here:
- Diwali Light Holders // Sand in My Toes
- Preserved Kids Art Magnets with Recycled Jar Lids // Views From a Step Stool
- Button Practice Felt Flowers // Twitchetts
- Easy Christmas Craft: Jar Lid Baubles // Arty Crafty Kids
- Mason Jar Lid Crafts: Melted Crayon Suncatchers // Schooling a Monkey
- Squeeze n’ Croak Frog Craft // Kids Craft Room