Inside: Match the snowmen to their hats with this cute printable winter beginning sounds activity for preschool or kindergarten.
These snowmen need their hats, but they each want a certain hat…
Winter Letter Sounds Activity
In this hands-on snowman-themed activity, children will identify the picture that each snowman is holding, and then find the hat with the letter for its initial sound.
They can also trace each letter on a recording sheet.
- Initial letter sound recognition
- Lowercase letter recognition
- Lowercase letter tracing
What’s Included in the Free Printable
The 10-page free printable, which you can get at the very bottom of this post, includes just about everything you need for this activity:
- 26 Snowman cards (7 pages)
- 26 Hat cards (2 pages)
- Recording sheet (1 page)
Preparation & Materials
Just cut out the cards and hats. You may want to print them on cardstock and/or laminate them so that you can use them every year.
How to Play
You can set up this winter letter sound activity in multiple ways, depending on your littler learners’ needs.
- Newer learners can start with just two or three pairs of snowmen and hats.
- More experienced students can work with perhaps ten pairs at a time.
- Or, if you want children to work with the whole alphabet, make sure to give them plenty of space to spread out.
Here is the basic procedure:
- Shuffle your selection of cards and hats, and spread them out face up.
- The student will search for pairs, putting the correct hats on each snowmen as she works.
- Then, she will find and trace those letters on the recording sheet.
Extend the Learning
You can extend this activity in a few ways:
Students can add additional letter sound cards or objects at the base of each snowman. For example, they could place a small plastic dolphin toy on the ‘d’ snowman.
One more idea is to read the funny book Sneezy the Snowman and add in this hot cocoa letter sounds activity as well.
Download the Free Snowman Cards & Hats
Ready to download your own set of free ABC snowman cards, hats, and recording sheet? You can sign up right here:
I’ll add you to my newsletter too – it’s full of ideas and more free printables. Of course, you can unsubscribe at any time.